How Baba Made Me Surrender To Him
Sai Brother Umasreedasan from India says: This is in continuation of my experience previously posted here. “You need not go far in search of Me. Barring your name and form, there exists in you, as well as in all beings, a sense of Being or Consciousness of Existence – That is Myself. Knowing this, you see Me inside yourself as well as in all beings. If you practice this, you will realize all-pervasiveness, and thus attain oneness with Me”. ~ Shirdi Sri Sai Baba.
Quick recapitulation: From 2003 onwards, I was trying to understand the theory and practice of Saranagati (Surrender). In 2004 Baba blessed me by giving me a photo-card of His holy Feet in the Mylapore Baba temple of Chennai. In 2005, Baba made unconditional love happen in my heart. In 2008, Baba gave me the permanent Darshanam of the all-pervading Spirit of God within myself as well as in the Space with my soul as Its integral part.
Now let me narrate how Baba made me surrender to Him, merging my soul into the all-pervading Spirit of God, Who is None, but Baba Himself.
By the end of 2011, during meditation, I was able to see the Spirit of God along with my soul filling up my entire body from head to bottom. But since my soul was aware of It, the duality of the seer and the Seen was maintained whether inside the body or outside in the space. By the end of 2012, during meditation, the seer was lost into the Seen, resulting in the exclusive presence of the Spirit of God existing as Itself as well as my soul. When the ego is thus completely annihilated, the Spirit of God becomes a Field of pleasant loving Peace. There seemed to be no boundary between my soul and the Spirit of God.
It is not that my soul became the Spirit of God, but vice versa. Stated in another way, the imagined separation, due to ego, between the soul and the Spirit vanished. Stated in yet another way, the all-pervading Spirit with infinite knowledge and infinite power entering into my heart became the body-confined soul with infinitesimal knowledge and infinitesimal power. In a couple of months I was always immersed in this Field of PLEASANT LOVING PEACE. My spinal cord and heart were permanently fine-tuned to perceive that Field.
I’m groping for words to express my gratitude for Baba for permanently merging my soul into Himself. It’ll be rather easier for me to show my gratitude by listing here the milestones of this process for the benefit of the aspiring Baba devotees. Saranagati (Surrender) is the process of getting our soul merged into the Spirit of God, also known as Soul of God or Paramatma. Following are the steps leading to the realization of Spirit of God by Surrender:
- Develop traditional bhakti towards God with a focus on the great devotees of God, who have realized the unconditional love towards God.
- Assume an accomplished saint like Shirdi Sri Sai Baba as your Guru. Believe that He can merge with the all-pervading Spirit of God completely to assume the full knowledge and full potency of the Spirit.
- Believe that you are not body-mind, but soul, and that your soul is originated from the Spirit of God residing in the heart of every being. Chant a holy Name of God for some duration daily. This is what I prefer to call Awareness Chanting.
- In due course, unconditional Love will happen in your heart towards your Guru. You become a bhakta (one who has realized unconditional Love for the Spirit of God residing in the heart of every being). All the love for God or Guru, we talk about is traditional, which is based on some condition like gratitude or some expectation like fulfillment of our prayers. Unconditional Love can never originate from our mind – it should happen, by the grace of Guru, in our heart. In fact, when it happens, our mind will resist it for some time until our heart convinces our mind. Once the mind is thus convinced, you’ll feel unconditional Love for the Spirit of God residing in all persons and creatures of this universe. This is the first of the three milestones in the process of Spirit-realization.
- Soon you’ll understand that you perform all actions primarily for the experience of your soul, and duality of the results of these actions, like success and failure, is immaterial to your soul – only your mind and senses will be interested in the particular result. This state of buddhi (intellect) is called as buddhi yoga by Bhagavad Gita.
- In due course, you’ll perceive your soul as an integral part of the Spirit of God. Thus, you become a yukta (one who has united his soul with the Spirit – yuj means ‘to unite’). Soul-Spirit has no form, but they exist like a Field, something like a magnetic field, which you can very well perceive with your brain and eyes. You’ll see the entire universe immersed in the all-pervading Spirit of God, your brain and eyes will be permanently fine tuned to see the Spirit within your head as well as in the universe. Instead of identifying with the mind, for the first time in your life, you’ll observe your thoughts and sensory perceptions as if you were an alien to your own mind and body. The Spirit appears with an extraordinary Peac. You’ll always enjoy this Peace in your being. No matter what happens in the external environment, even when your mind and body are agitated and restless. This is the second of the three milestones in the process of Spirit-realization.
- Soon you’ll understand that you are neither mind nor body, but soul, and soul doesn’t do any action. It can’t; it can only enjoy the state of being like happiness. Thus, you learn to renounce the doership of all actions performed by your mind and body.
- Start meditation, in addition to chanting. Meditate on the Spirit as if you were the Spirit.
- The Spirit, along with your soul, will soon fill up your entire body during meditation. Now the unconditional Love, felt in your heart, for the Spirit residing in all persons and creatures gets automatically extended to the corresponding persons and creatures as well.
- Soon, during meditation, the ego barrier between your soul and the Spirit will be destroyed. There will be no ‘I’ supplied by the ego principle of your mind. There will be no seeing the Spirit from the soul, but you’ll be simply immersed in the Spirit as the Spirit. You have thus entered the Spirit, a Field of PLEASANT LOVING PEACE, and become a prabhanna (one who has surrendered his soul to the Spirit of God). This is the third and final milestone finishing the process of Spirit-realization. Soon your being will always enjoy this state.
However, you need not become a prabhanna to enter the Spirit of God. You can temporarily enter the Spirit right now straight away. For details, please refer to my Article “Fundamentals of Saranagati” in my blog.
Anonymous Devotee from India says: This is my first experience. I prayed to Sai Baba from long time, but in between when I was little bit disturbed. So I didn’t pray Him and just I thought that He is not listening me. I have completed my study and I belong to a middle class. So for some more professional degrees, I took admission in B.Ed. college. At that time, I met my mother’s friend’s daughter. She had also taken the admission in same college. And thus we became friend.
She was lecturer as a guest faculty in college. Once I just talked to her about the recruitment. And after only one month one day, when I was coming back from my B. Ed. College, she phone me and said that Principal has called me and then I said tomorrow I will come. But after 5 minutes, she called me and said to come soon to the college. And I went to the college with my documents and in college office she has just taken a simple interview and she said to come and join college from Monday and I was selected as a lecturer. This was very miraculous to me this is all the blessing of Sai Baba only before getting the job in college. I have done 5 Guruvar Vrat and thus I got the result of that Vrat. My friend is also a devotee of Lord Sai Ram. And from this experience my belief and devotion to Sai Baba became more .Jai Sai Ram. Jai Sai Baba.
My second experience is just a 15 days ago only. On Thursday before going to college, I and my friend use to go Sai Baba temple. We both went temple and at that time Aarti was going on. I just parked my scooty and we both soon went inside. We prayed and attended Aarti and as it was my fast, so I didn’t take Prasad. We were just praying to Sai Ram and Aarti was finished and so much crowd was their inside the temple and outside also. I was just standing and praying to Sai Ram. At that time, one man in a very loud voice asking to everyone who’s scooty is this. Then I saw and from inside the temple I said its mine. Then he picked my mobile phone from the scooty and said you forget it. As I saw my mobile, I was just shocked because five days before only, my brother gifted me and it was very costly mobile. At that time, my friend came and I told her about this and thus I told it was the Sai Ram Miracle. He gave me my mobile and while entering, I forgot about my mobile. So from that day onwards my faith in Sai Baba became more. Sai Baba, You are really great. Om Sai Ram.
Unbelievable Assurance By Sai Baba
Sai Sister Shalini Ji from Qatar says: Dear Hetal Ji, Thanks for this wonderful platform through, which Sai devotees across world can share their experiences showered to them from our beloved Baba. May SAI help you continue this blog for many-many years to come and bless you always. Kindly rectify the content before publishing if you feel so. Please let me know in advance when you are publishing my experience in your blog.
I have not been an ardent devotee of Lord Sai Baba until 3-4 months back, when I first visited Shirdi with my Kids and Parents. It was a casual visit just like any other pilgrimage. But after coming back from Shirdi, when I read about Baba through internet in various blogs, I felt connected to Him. Every day and each second, I felt His presence in my life. I could not spend my time without reading about my beloved Baba.
Since then there were various miraculous incidents taking place, which were drawing me more closely towards my Baba. The experience, which I am sharing here, is little bit long, but something, which I cannot trim at all and I want everyone in this forum to read it. Believe me you just cannot imagine that Sai Baba can assure you to this extent.
The Real Experience
Recently we relocated from Bangalore India to Doha, Qatar as my husband got a Job here. I was also working in a software company in Bangalore, but I left the job to be with my husband and family in Doha. Before coming to Doha, once I asked Baba (thru Q&A Blog), that I am leaving my job here to be with my family; are you OK with this? He replied in a positive way and told that, everything will be fine and you will get more than you have imagined”. I felt very happy that my SAI is with me.
Just 2 weeks after coming to Doha, I got an interview call from a very renowned company. I gave the face-to face interview and I was selected. You cannot imagine the interviewer hardly asked me anything regarding my previous job and work related thing. He was so casual and the interview went for hardly 15 minutes. Though I was informed that I was selected, but I did not get any mail confirmation and offer letter even after 2 weeks from the date of interview. I was little bit worried and was making up my mind that it was kind of a fake interview otherwise they would have taken at least 2 rounds.
On 1st week of July (not remembering the exact date), after a normal day-to-day activity, I slept at night. At around 4:30 or 5:00 am in the morning, I saw a dream that SAI Baba is telling me that “you will get the offer on 18th of July”. These were the exact words spoken by Him “18 JULY KO TUMHARA OFFER AA JAYEGA” and that’s it. After listening this, I woke up, and was very happy and thought of telling this to my husband. But thought that let this come true and then I will tell. I told my husband that SAI has told me something, but I will tell you once that comes true.
On 18th of July since morning only, I was excited and was expecting SAI to make His words come true, so that I can tell my husband about it. More than the happiness of getting the offer I was excited to tell about the liveliness of our SAI. Can you believe that exactly on 18th of July, at around 2:00 pm, my mobile rang and it was an unknown number. I hesitantly and suspiciously, picked the call. It was call from the company for which I had given the interview. My happiness knew no bounds and I was trembling while talking to the person on call. He told that based on the interview you gave to the client; we are offering you this designation and sending you the offer letter. Few minutes after the call, I could not understand if all this happenings are true. But finally I realized that it is true and SAI is really with me and He always completes His words.
Immediately I called and informed my husband about the offer. He was very happy. When he came from office, then I told him the complete story of my dream. He was shocked and more than 5 times he asked me that are you telling me the truth or making a story? Only I and my Sai Baba know this. I feel myself blessed and more close to my Sai after this incident. Thank You Baba for all Your love showered on me and keep me always at Your lotus feet. Always be with me and guide me through. May Sai Baba bless all His devotees. Jai Sai Nath.