Anonymous Devotee from USA says: Sairam Hetal Ji, thank you for providing this platform. I am sharing the following experience and am considering this a confession to Sai.
I have had a bad habit of stealing since I was a child. I tried my best to get out of it, but I just felt compelled to do it. I moved to US and as you know they have open merchandise in this country. I started picking up a few things, when I was in stores. That went on for many years and lately (since the last 2 years) it increased even more. Please bear in mind, that I did not have any kind of financial problems or issues. It was just compulsion. I started going into stores just to lift things (things that I did not need at all). Baba gave me several warnings and each time I would apologize and go on (because I could not stop myself).
Finally a few months ago, he dealt with me in the right way by giving bitter medicine to child to cure him of the disease. I went into a store to buy a frame for Baba’s picture (I had the picture with me). I bought the frame and a few other things and lifted a few things too. As I was paying for the stuff I bought, Baba reminded me one last time not to do it. But again in my own (bad) way said this is the last time and will not do it again. As I was leaving the store, a guy walked up to me and said that I want to talk to you about the unpaid merchandise in your bag. I was shell shocked and could not say anything. In short, he called the police. I was arrested and released on a bond. All this time, I was in a shock and was not realizing what was going on.
We came home and started looking up what “this all meant”. All I can say is that I was in deep mess. The consequences could mean losing everything that I had accumulated till then and affecting my family in a bad way. It could mean jail, deportation, separation from family. I realized that I messed up my life and just did not know what to do. I cried and apologized to Baba. Considered committing suicide (but that would affect my family too). I suffered tremendously for 3 days and at the end Baba showed me a path to get out of this without the worst case scenario.
The outcome is that the prosecutor dismissed the case at the request of my attorney. I would like to call out several things during this process and how Baba was by my side and showed me the path:
1. My spouse travels for work and is gone between Monday and Friday. This incident happened on a Saturday. If it was on a weekday, I would not have anyone to come and bail me out jail.
2. Like I said, I had this bad habit and I lifted several things from stores at various times. When I was with friends and family, in a different city, or when I was alone. Had the arrest happened during one of those incidents, I would have been in a bigger mess.
3. Usually stores have videos. If there was a video of what I did the prosecutor would never have agreed to dismiss the case. Surprisingly there was no video submitted.
4. When I came home that day, I thought I would just pay the fine and be done with it. Meaning, I will not hire a lawyer. For some weird reason, I looked up the consequences that night in the middle of the night online and realized that it is a bigger mess than I thought it was. Next morning, I was supposed to be at the court at 9. That night I looked up the available criminal lawyers in my region and picked on. Their offices open at 9. I did not know what to do. I wanted to leave a message so I called at 7:30 and to my surprise a receptionist answered and had a lawyer’s call me back in 20 min. He filed the case and I did not have to go to the court. Had Baba not given me the idea of looking it up, I would never have realized what I did to myself and probably would have hurt the situation even more.
I can’t do justice in writing to the mess and how Baba bailed me out. He proved without doubt that He is always there and everything He has communicated to us through the Sai Satcharitra is absolutely true. During this whole phase, He assured me in several ways that He is with me:
- I did 3 Saptahs of Satcharitra. You know it cannot happen without His grace. I have been reading Sai Satcharitra (off and on) for the last 10 years. However I have never done 3 consecutive Sapthas.
- One of the earlier days, I was very disturbed and restless. I drove to the Sai Temple during lunch. As I sat in the car and came out of the garage, I got a MMS from a friend and it was the picture of Baba’s Murthy in the temple. He was there welcoming me even before I went there.
- Through messages, He suggested to me to do charity and I was successful in finding ways to do it. He reminded me of the curd rice and black dog story in Satcharitra.
Satchitanada Sadguru Sainath Maharaj Ki Jai.
© Devotees Experiences with Shirdi Sai Baba